CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Help!

I need some expert mom advice on potty training! So I was waiting at Walgreens yesterday when I decided to gather up some little treats to put in a "potty basket" for when Tylie uses the big girl potty. I also bought some cute princess undies which Tylie was way excited about. I didn't think she would do it but she actually peed in the potty in order to get a treat from the basket. We were so excited and thought okay here goes potty training! Then today she woke up dry and didn't pee all day. I repeatedly took her to the bathroom but she wouldn't go. Finally before her nap (after still not peeing all day) I was determined to make her go. She threw the biggest fit screaming crying and biting me like crazy. She was so mad and frustrated! I didn't want her to be afriad of the toilet so I took her off, stuck her diaper on and put her to bed. I feel like I caved in but I don't know how much to push. I don't think it would be right to force her when she is that upset about it. Any advice on how hard to push? Should I just wait till she is more ready?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

You were perfect. She will get there. I'd be scared if my kids didn't pee all day too - she's a stubborn little one isn't she? But maybe she was practicing holding itand she doesn't qite know the feeling of needing to go yet... I remember doing the potty sitting every 15 minutes the first day, then every half hour. Treats just for sitting there in the beginning and then for going as they got it. In the end the kids were in control - THEY decided when they were done training or not. Little stinkers.

Taylor and Stephanie Haught said...

I think you did everything right. She may just be testing her limits.....sounds like something a 2 year old would do. I never gave treats for just sitting there, but maybe she needs that persuasion too. I would ask nicely if she wants to sit on the potty. If she does and she makes pee come out then she gets a treat. And make it a huge deal, jump up and down, throw confetti! Something so that she knows what a big girl she is! If she fights and says she does not want to go then just forget about it and wait about 15 minutes. They try the same scenario over again. Once she realizes that she gets a treat when she goes potty and you aren't going to fight with her about it, she will start going all the time! I also learned not to get upset if she does have an accident. Just change her pants and let it go. But make sure she knows that she does not get treats for peeing in her undies. When a child is ready to potty train it will go smoothly. I tried to push Cooper too hard in the beginning becuase I did not know any better and he took a little longer than the other kids. So try not to make it a HUGE fight between you.

That was a long explanation, sorry! Good luck with everything!